-->

Friday, July 10, 2009

Beignets! Who doesnt love fried dough

I love bread. Yup, I love bread. Whats not to love! Soft yeasty slightly sour pillows slathered with either savory or sweet spreads. Crisp and crunchy on the outside, soft, meltingly soft on the inside. And the smell of bread baking puts all my senses into overdrive.
I kept reading that it wasnt too difficult to make bread at home so I went to the library and picked out Bread Bakers Apprentice. The first time I tried it, It came out perfect. Gloriously soft and yeasty.
It didnt even get to the table. I pulled it out from the oven and placed it on the counter. J said "lets taste" so I made a little dipping sauce with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper and we ripped into the warm boule.
Guess what? We stood there and finished the whole thing!
I thought I had a winner though it involved quite a few steps and a whole day! Unfortunately the second time I made it, it fell totally flat. All that effort and no reward?!
So I kept checking for something new that would give me consistent results everytime. And I found it! Artisan bread in 5 minutes a day. Is the title catchy or what?
I love the book and it makes it so easy to make bread with just a little planning. I've tried the recipes out and it comes out perfect everytime!
I wanted to try out the enriched dough section and just loved the idea of making sticky pecan rolls and beignets. I tried the beignets first and it was just perfect! I filled it with blackberry and strawberry preserves. Dusted with a little powdered sugar and a cup of coffee, its a perfect beginning to a weekend.

No comments: